Thursday, September 29, 2011

Port Salut Already Getting "Pudgy"

It's only been 4 days since I made the wheel of Port Salut and already it's gotten a little shorter and is beginning to bulge around the side...kind of like me!

I realize now that I was not fully prepared to age this cheese.  It's not controlling the temperature or having space in the wine refrigerator.  It's the ageing container.  I had to improvise an ageing container to accommodate the larger size by using a larger square Corning casserole dish.  Even so, now that it's bulging a bit, it won't be long before it starts to touch the sides of the dish.  So now I have to quickly look for a container to purchase.  But at least I'll have one for the next time I make a 6 inch wheel of cheese. 

When it starts to develop it's orange colored rind, I'll post a pick of it.  But already, the color is beginning to turn slightly golden, so I know the bacteria is working it's magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment